Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the lovely The Broke and the Bookish. This week is our top ten favorite heroines in novels. I always love an awesome heroines, so let’s get into this week’s TTT.
- Lia from The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson- She’s such a strong character who is fierce and protective and doesn’t get distracted by the very nice fantasy boys she’s surrounded by.
- Juliette from Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi- Did you notice how I said Ignite Me instead of the Shatter Me series? That’s because in the first two books, she’s insufferable but she grows into such a kickass character in the last book. I just love her so much in Ignite Me.
- Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas- She doesn’t need much explanation if you’ve read the series. Celaena is the definition of a fantastic heroine.
- Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell- As I was reading others Top Ten Tuesdays, I saw a lot of fantasy characters, but the contemporary heroines weren’t getting much love. They might not be as badass like some other characters like Celaena but I think Cath is pretty badass for confronting her issues of being a introvert and coming to terms with that.
- Charlotte Branwell from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare- I’m not going to lie, sometimes it’s really hard being short. People never take you seriously and we see Charlotte deal with this issue when she tries to talk to the Clave but she definitely works her way around that and doesn’t let it be an obstacle. So, props to you Charlotte.
Look I didn’t say Tessa.
- Eona from the Eon series by Alison Goodman- Eona is character who masquerades as the boy Eon so that she can participate in the cultural rituals that were meant only for boys. I feel like this sends a powerful message to a lot of young women so they can learn to stand up for what they believe in. Also, she has some pretty kickass scenes.
- Cody from I Was Here by Gayle Forman- Cody’s best friend committed suicide and she doesn’t know why. I could only imagine how hard this would be and I’ve been really impressed with Cody’s strength through a tough time like this.
- Daenerys Targaryen from the Game of Throne series by George R.R. Martin- Again, not going to lie, I’ve only seen some of the TV show. The books are a little daunting. Although, right away I knew I was going to love Daenerys and she did not let me down. It was so great to see her mentally grow up and take matters into her own hands.
- Hermione Granger from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling- I know everyone is saying Hermione, but how can you not love her? She’s clever, witty, and totally badass. I always appreciated how her being smart never played down any of her other characteristics, it only enhanced her and made her character much more interesting to read.
- Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan- I love this girl! Much like Hermione, she’s smart but she embraces that and it makes her character even more kickass. Annabeth is that kind of girl that you would always want to have your back because she’s the loyal best friend that will always be there both mentally and physically. Also, Percabeth for life.
So, those are some of my favorite heroines throughout various YA series/genres. Do you agree with these characters, or do you feel like there’s a totally obvious heroine that I’m missing? Let me know in the comments and as always, happy reading!