I love today’s TTT topic, which is the Top Ten books that would be on your syllabus if you taught X 101. Being someone who primarily reads YA Fantasy, I’d say I’m pretty well schooled in the topic.
Welcome to YA Fantasy 101! If you’re taking this class I can assume that you would like to enter the reading world of YA Fantasy. It’s a scary world out there so I’m here to help guide you through the stages of reading. In my class, you will be expected to read the given material (see page 2 in syllabus) but be present in class to fangirl with your fellow classmates. Your final grade will be composed of attendance, book discussions and fangirling. Now please turn to the required materials as we go over them as a class.
This class has 10 books that we will be reading throughout the year, 5 each semester. In the first semester we will begin with light fantasy reads as to not overwhelm you.
- The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson and the Olympians book 1)
- The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (Darkest Minds book 1)
- Angelfall by Susan Ee (Penryn and the End of Days book 1)
- The Selection by Kiera Cass (The Selection book 1)
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen book 1)
The next semester we will be traveling to new worlds and learning tales about entire new lands/cities and species. This semester you will learn to understand Fantasy world/words/species better. More fangirling is also expected this semester, as these books call for it.
- Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices book 1)
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass book 1)
- Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me book 1)
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha Trilogy book 1)
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (DoSaB book 1)
As you may have noticed, all of these books are book 1 in a series! Students are highly encouraged to continue with the series on their own free time. If any questions arise about the course for this year, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forwards to a fun year full of fangirling and reading!