Unless you’re the type of book lover who lives under the rock, I’m sure you’ve heard about and/or seen the TV adaption of Cassandra Clare’s Shadowhunter books. The show has certainly sparked much controversy between everyone, and while it has it’s many flaws, there are good aspects about it.
I initially planned on reviewing each episode as they come out, but since Michelle over at Writing Hufflepuff has been doing that (they’re hilarious, check them out!), I decided not to. However, I have been watching the show on Hulu as the episodes come out and I’ve been debating whether or not to continue the show.
- The terrible CGI. This ranges from the demons, all of the special effects, the weird slow down and speed up things when there’s fighting or even just walking. PEOPLE CAN WALK AT A NORMAL SPEED.
- The awkward changes to the Shadowhunter skill set. Dear writers, are you sure you read the books? Are you sure? Shadowhunters aren’t some super human species, they do have restrictions. *cough* I’m looking at you “tracking” *cough*
- Award line deliveries. A lot of this comes from Dom Sherwood (Jace) which makes me very disappointed.
- The lack of explanations. It doesn’t matter if you’ve read all the books, because I honestly have no idea what’s going on in the show. There’s so many random little things that happened that are never explained.
- Seraph Blades. This one gets it’s own whole point because I will never accept how stupid they look. Never.
THE “WHAT THE…” MOMENTS
- Valentine’s need for mundane blood. What is this?? THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED AND HE DOESN’T NEED MUNDANE BLOOD.
- The portals. I die of laughter every time a portal comes up because they seem so random and out of place.
- The Institution. I have absolutely no words for how disappointed I am by the Institution. Absolutely none.
- The weird circle tattoo thing. What is this? Why did young Luke and Jocelyn have one but they don’t have it anymore? Same with Mayrse and Robert. So why does Hodge still have his?
- Jace and Clary instalove. Ugh, stop it now.
- Simon’s weird vampire transition with the anger issues.
THE GOOD PARTS
- Izzy and Alec have the best sibling relationship ever.
- In fact, Alec gives this show life, he’s the best character right now. As Michelle puts it, Alec Baewood.
- At least Valentine doesn’t have a rat tail this time. Although, I quite like Alan Van Sprag as Valentine!
- Alberto Rosende is such a great Simon, he has some of the best lines too.
- THE MALEC FEELS ARE REAL.
- Magnus is a beautiful, glitter covered character. Thank god he has pants on this time around.
In summary of those points, there’s many, many things that need much improvement on the show, but it does have some good parts going for it. I feel like I want to give it a whole season before coming to a conclusion, but at the current moment I’m really not the biggest fan of it.
However, each episode is getting slightly better so we can hope it stays on that trajectory. One thing that concerns me if it gets renewed is where the show is going. They are currently speeding through the books (but in a weird fashion. In some plot lines they’re half way through the 2nd book, in some a quarter through the 1st) and it seems like it’s going to stray way too far from the books.
So, half way through season 1, there are many concerns for the future and I’m not really feeling it. I might not watch season 2, and I hope that the show never even touches TID. It’s perfect and doesn’t need to be on big screens.